Your ambition is likely to be big, so be proud of it!
Throughout the year, our Enterprise Ambassadors have been offering amazing pieces of advice to students who attend our events. We have put together a list of 10 Top Tips of advice for aspiring entrepreneurs:
1. “Assess your competitors and ensure you know what you are better at than them, focus on this as it is your USP and in this way, you can charge a higher price for your product as it is unique.” – Richard
2. “Your ambition is likely to be big, so be proud of it” – Nina
3. “Ensure you have a clear understanding of your target market and your product offering, so you can position yourself accordingly” – Caroline
4. “You don’t need to know everything to run a business, and don’t be afraid to employ people who know more than you. You just have to know how to run a business and manage your people effectively, the rest will follow.” – Caroline
5. “Talk to as many people as you can and learn from the networks to which you have access to” – Phil
6. “Narrow down where you might find your customers, so you know how to target them. Will you find them on Instagram, Facebook, or through a newspaper or magazine?” – Pete
7. “Look outside of your market niche and speak to people who aren’t your direct customer/competitor and try find out something new, dig deep for advice and be open to constructive feedback” – Sam
8. “Be prepared to fail! A marketing campaign or idea may not work, it’s an experiment that you should learn from” – Bec
9. “Believe it or not, social media may not be your first point of marketing. Some SME’s may not use social media as it depends purely on your target market, if your customers aren’t using social media, why would you?” – Paul
10. “These days, people are after quality over quantity, and therefore they are interested in hearing the story of small businesses, so sell it!” – Nina
Pictured above is CEES Enterprise Ambassador Richard Wright of Prepare to Sell Ltd., mentoring Owen Seabrook at our Business Mentoring Q&A session. If you are interested in attending events such as this in the future, make sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter @UoLCEES, where we post about upcoming events and opportunities available to students across all faculties.
Any questions, feedback or just want to get in touch? Contact the CEES Centre Administrator Natalie Jackson via our contact page here.