- Job title: PhD Researcher
- Email: email@example.com
- Faculty: Leeds University Business School
- School: Management Division
- Areas of expertise: Entrepreneurial Leadership in Conflict Zones
Richard Bingley is the Managing Director of GBS, an OfS registered Higher Education Institution, and founding Chairman of the Global Cyber Academy. He has spent more than a decade serving as a British university academic, high-level leadership consultant, and NGO Director, specialising in the fields of Leadership, Business Resilience and Technology-related Risk Management.
He served as Business School Director, Senior Lecturer for Security and Resilience and Course Leader for MA Leadership and Management, and BA (Hons) Security Consultancy, at Buckinghamshire New University between 2012-17. Richard has tutored UK Armed Forces personnel and various government agencies, including the National Counter Terrorism Security Office (NaCTSO) and UK Foreign Office. Richard studied at Leeds University (MA) prior to working in the UK government and security sectors during the 2000s. He is the founder of the popular business resilience network, CSARN, and served as London First’s Executive Director for Security and Policing between 2007-09.
Richard is a ‘pracademic’ (practical academic) believing passionately that successful education is predicated upon tutors being able to articulate ‘real world’ learning strategies. As a UK-licenced Close Protection Operations, he worked with many high-profile organisations, including at Russia’s 2014 and London’s 2012 Olympic Games.
To date, Richard is the author of three well-received security books, a fourth on Cyber Security in the Boardroom is due out in 2020.
Richard serves on the International Advisory Council for the influential business forum, the Terrorist Information New York Group (TINYg). Richard is a regular broadcaster and weekly contributor on security and tech issues at London’s LoveSportRadio. His PhD study is in the field of Entrepreneurial Leadership in war zones. He is a popular LinkedIn personality with around 20,000 followers. He also holds a Post-Graduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
PhD Working Title:
Above the parapet: an experiential study of entrepreneurial leadership in conflict zones
Research Aims and Objectives:
1. To provide a robust evaluation and understanding of perceived entrepreneurial ‘success stories’ within conflict zones
2. To examine leadership approaches (including traits, tools and techniques) of leading entrepreneurs and entrepreneurial team leaders within conflict zones
3. To relate findings with existing pre-eminent leadership frameworks, to ascertain if existing frameworks, new frameworks, or indeed any frameworks, can be particularly useful in explaining sustained entrepreneurial success within conflict zones.
- Bingley, R. (2015) The Security Consultant’s Handbook, Ely: IT Governance Press
- Bingley, R. (2003) Terrorism: Just The Facts, Heinemann: New York
- Bingley, R. (2003) Arms Trade: Just The Facts, Heinemann: New York